Dr. Shawn T. Wahl
College of Arts and Letters
- PhD, Speech Communication and Rhetoric, 2003, University of Nebraska at Lincoln
- MA, Speech Communication and Rhetoric, 1999, Texas Tech University
- BA, Speech Communication and Rhetoric, 1997, Angelo State University
- COM 100 Introduction to Majors in Communication
- COM 209 Survey of Communication Theory
- COM 328 Persuasion
- COM 325 Nonverbal Communication
- COM 360 Intercultural Communication
- COM 397 Topics in Communication
- COM 495 Communication Internships
- COM 512 Communication and Diversity in the Workplace
- COM 702 Theory and Research in Communication
- COM 795 Communication Internships
- COM 796 Independent Study
Dr. Shawn Wahl is dean of the College of Arts and Letters, professor of communication and previously head of the department of communication in the School of Communication Studies at Missouri State University, also known as MSU. Prior to MSU, he served as head of the department of communication, mass media and theatre at Angelo State University and as the director of graduate studies at Texas A&M University, Corpus Christi.
Wahl has authored numerous books, including Nonverbal Communication for a Lifetime, The Communication Age: Connecting and Engaging, Business and Professional Communication: KEYS for Workplace Excellence, Persuasion in Your Life, Communication and Culture In Your Life and Public Relations Principles: Strategies for Professional Success. He has published articles in Communication Education, Communication Research Reports, Communication Teacher, Journal of Family Communication and Basic Communication Course Annual. In addition, Dr. Wahl has worked across the nation as a corporate trainer, communication consultant and leadership coach in a variety of industries.
Wahl is a member of the National Communication Association (NCA), Central States Communication Association (CSCA) and serves as an editorial board member of several national research journals.
Research and professional interests
Since coming to MSU in 2012, Dr. Wahl has maintained an active national research and service profile. Currently, his research focuses on communication education, college teaching, university leadership and the intercultural dimensions of higher education. Under the leadership of Dr. Wahl and his faculty colleagues, the department was recognized as the 2015 Undergraduate Communication Program of Distinction by the Central States Communication Association (CSCA). In 2014, the department received the rating of “Strong Program” by the National Communication Association (NCA) President’s Task Force for the Advocacy of Communication in the Academy.
Awards and honors
- President, Central States Communication Association (2016)
- Faculty Participant, National Communication Association Learning Outcomes in Communication project (2015)
- Maroon Minute Recognition for faculty research, Missouri State University (2015)
- Greater Ozark Leadership Development (GOLD) Certificate, Missouri State University (2015)
- International Guest Scholar, School of Communication, Universidad de La Sabana, Bogota, Colombia (2014)
- Recognition in Faculty Research, Mind’s Eye Research Magazine, Missouri State University (2014)
- 417 Magazine 40 under 40 Award, Missouri State University, Nominee (2014)
- Study Away Program Director, Bogota, Colombia, Universidad de La Sabana . (2014)
- Presidential Excellence Award in Research, Angelo State University, (2012)
- Outstanding Service Award, Central States Communication Association, (2010)
Area of expertiseCommunication Higher education administration
Sticks and stones may break my bones, words will hurt me
“That collaborative effort between faculty guiding research processes and students doing moderation and … working (together), because students will actually listen to students in ways that they don’t listen to faculty,” Simmons said. “This (research was done by) me, Dr. Shawn Wahl (and) the other two were administrators.”...