Dr. Jake Simmons
College of Arts and Letters
- PhD, 2008, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale
- MA, 2004, Texas Tech University
- BA, 2002, West Texas A&M University
- COM 307 Gender and Communication
- COM 206 Communicating with Cultural Competence
- COM 360 Intercultural Communication
- COM 701 Introduction to Graduate Studies in Communication
- COM 702 Theory and Research in Communication
- COM 714 Qualitative Analysis in Communication Research
Research and professional interests
Dr. Jake Simmons is Associate Dean of Research and Graduate Student Success in the College of Arts and Letters. He is also Associate Professor of Communication in the Department of Communication. Jake maintains an active national research and service profile. Currently, his research focuses on communication theory in aesthetic and everyday performance contexts, communication perspectives in the posthumanities, intercultural communication in everyday university contexts, communicative dimensions of gender/sex/sexuality, and social justice.
Jake has published articles in Text and Performance Quarterly, Communication Education, Communication Teacher, Technocultures, The National Forensics Journal, Communication Currents, and The Sage Encyclopedia of Social Movements. He is also co-author of the textbook Intercultural Communication in Your Life. In addition to his research, Jake is passionate about facilitating spaces through which colleagues may contribute to emerging trends within the field of Communication. He serves as editor of The Performance Space in Text and Performance Quarterly and Digital Horizons, a recurring section of the international journal Liminalities: A Journal of Performance Studies. He has also guest edited special issues of Text and Performance Quarterly, Technocultures: An Online Journal of Technology in Society, and The Texas Speech Communication Journal.
Awards and honors
- Outstanding Graduate Faculty Member, Department of Communication. Missouri State University, 2016-2017.
- Rodgers Distinguished Faculty Research Award Finalist. Angelo State University, September 2013.
- Outstanding Research and Creative Activity. Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, 2008.
- Outstanding Media Design. Department of Speech Communication. Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, 2006-2007.
- Outstanding Graduate Student. Department of Communication Studies, Texas Tech University, 2003-2004.
- Outstanding Service Award. Department of Communication Studies, Texas Tech University, 2003-2004.
- Outstanding Graduate Teaching Assistant Award. Department of Communication Studies, Texas Tech University, 2003-2004.
- The Vera L. Simpson NCA Award. Department of Communication Studies, Texas Tech University, 2002-2003.
- The Order of the Silver Buffalo President’s Award. West Texas A&M University, 2000.