Dr. Jake Simmons
- PhD, 2008, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale
- MA, 2004, Texas Tech University
- BA, 2002, West Texas A&M University
COM 100 Introduction to Majors in Communication
COM 209 Survey of Communication Theory
COM 307 Gender and Communication
COM 328 Persuasion
COM 360 Intercultural Communication
COM 397 Topics in Communication
COM 701 Introduction to Graduate Studies
COM 702 Theory and Research in Communication
COM 714 Qualitative Analysis in Communication Research
COM 795 Communication Internships
COM 796 Independent Study
Research and professional interests
Dr. Jake Simmons is assistant professor of communication in the Department of Communication in the School of Communication Studies at Missouri State University. Jake maintains an active national research and service profile. Currently, his research focuses on communication theory in aesthetic and everyday performance contexts, communication perspectives in the posthumanities, environmental communication, digital culture, intercultural communication in university contexts, communicative dimensions of gender/sex/sexuality, and social justice.
Jake has published articles in Text and Performance Quarterly, Communication Education, Communication Teacher, Technocultures, The National Forensics Journal, Communication Currents, and The Sage Encyclopedia of Social Movements. In addition to his research, Jake is passionate about facilitating spaces through which colleagues may contribute to emerging trends within Communication. He serves as an editor of Digital Horizons, a recurring section of the international journal Liminalities: A Journal of Performance Studies. He has also guest edited special issues of Text and Performance Quarterly, Technocultures: An Online Journal of Technology in Society, and The Texas Speech Communication Journal.
Awards and honors
- Rodgers Distinguished Faculty Research Award Finalist. Angelo State University. September 2013.
- Outstanding Research and Creative Activity. Southern Illinois University, Carbondale. 2008.
- Outstanding Media Design. Department of Speech Communication. Southern Illinois University, Carbondale. 2006-2007.
- Outstanding Graduate Student. Department of Communication Studies, Texas Tech University. 2003-2004.
- Outstanding Service Award. Department of Communication Studies, Texas Tech University. 2003-2004.
- Outstanding Graduate Teaching Assistant Award. Department of Communication Studies, Texas Tech University. 2003-2004.
- The Vera L. Simpson NCA Award. Department of Communication Studies, Texas Tech University. 2002-2003.
- The Order of the Silver Buffalo President’s Award. West Texas A&M University. 2000.