The Master of Arts in Communication program deepens your understanding of communication processes and your skills in facilitating effective communication among other people. The department of communication at Missouri State offers undergraduate communication students the opportunity to begin taking graduate classes during their senior year, allowing you to receive an undergraduate and graduate degree in communication in five years.
Accelerated Master's Degree option
Eligible undergraduate majors in the School of Communication Studies may apply for early admission to the Master of Arts in Communication during the second semester of their junior year. Once accepted for early admission, students will be able to take up to 12 credit hours at the 600-700 level that apply to both their undergraduate and graduate degree programs. Students MUST enroll in COM 701 during the fall semester of their senior year as part of the accelerated program. Before enrolling in courses to be counted for both undergraduate and graduate credit, an undergraduate student must be accepted into the accelerated master’s program AND receive prior approval from the Director of Graduate Studies, the Department Head, and the Dean of the Graduate College (on a Mixed Credit Form).
Admission requirements for the Accelerated Master’s option
- The applicant must be of junior standing with a cumulative GPA of 3.25.
- The applicant must have a declared major in the School of Communication Studies or the equivalent, having completed 15 hours in the major department, including at least six hours at the 300-level or above, with a GPA in the major of 3.50 or better.
- The applicant must submit three letters of recommendation, two of which must be written by a graduate faculty member in the School of Communication Studies.
- The applicant must submit a letter of application of no more than 2 pages. This letter should address the following questions:
- Why are you interested in pursuing an accelerated graduate degree in Communication?
- Why did you choose to apply for accelerated graduate study in the Department of Communication at Missouri State University?
- How does your background (educational and otherwise) prepare you for accelerated graduate study?
- What professional goals do you hope this degree will help you achieve?
- The applicant must submit a sample of sole-authored academic writing of no less than 3 pages.
- Admission decisions will be made by the Graduate Faculty in the Department of Communication. Meeting the above entrance requirements does not guarantee admission to the Master of Arts in Communication Accelerated Program. The decision to accept an accelerated graduate student is competitive and complex. It is based on multiple factors, only one of which is meeting the admission requirements listed above.
- Acceptance decisions for fall semester will begin in early February. Date for first consideration for applications is February 1.
Application for admission into the accelerated master’s option is open to all majors within the School of Communication Studies, including the four undergraduate communication programs and their respective tracks. The School of Communication Studies includes both the department of communication and the department of media, journalism and film. In addition to being in an approved program, you must meet the other specified academic requirements to be eligible for acceptance into the accelerated master’s option.
“The accelerated master’s program in communication allowed me to achieve more marketable skills in a shorter amount of time.”